Year -conferred Degree Institution and location
2004 - MBBS -Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2008
2008 - M.D (Psychiatry) - Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2008
2009 - DNB (Psychiatry) - National Board of Examinations, New Delhi,
List of selected publications
Peer reviewed original research
1. Kuppili PP, Menon V, Chandrasekaran V, Navin K. Biological rhythm impairment in Bipolar Disorder: A state or trait marker? Indian J Psychiatry 2018;60:404-9. (Impact Factor – 1.061)
2. Menon V, Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Sathyanarayanan G, Subramanian K, Velusamy SK. Age at onset of first suicide attempt: Exploring the utility of a potential candidate variable to subgroup attempters. Asian J Psy 2018;37:40-45. (Cite Score – 1.06)
3. Menon V, Selvakumar N, Kattimani S, Andrade C. Therapeutic effects of mobile-based text message reminders for medication adherence in bipolar I disorder: Are they maintained after intervention cessation? J Psychiatr Res 2018;104:163-168. (Impact factor – 4.437)
4. Selvakumar N, Menon V, Kattimani S. A cross-sectional analysis of patterns and predictors of medication adherence in Bipolar Disorder: Single center experience from South India. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci 2018;16:168-75. (In Press) (Impact Factor – 2.00)
5. Menon V, Shanmuganathan B, Thamizh JS, Arun AB. Kuppili PP, Sarkar S. Personality traits such as neuroticism and disability predict psychological distress in medically unexplained symptoms: A three year experience from a single center. Pers Ment Health 2017;12:145-54 (Impact Factor – 1.393)
6. Menon V, Sarkar S, Kumar S. A cross-sectional analysis of barriers to health-care seeking among medical students across training period. J Ment Health Hum Behav 2017;22:97-103
7. Menon V, Shanmughanathan B, Thamizh JS, Arun AB, Sarkar S. Efficacy of adjunctive single session counselling for medically unexplained symptoms: A randomized controlled trial. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:641-7. (Cite Score – 0.77)
8. Chandrasekaran SC, Menon V, Wadwekar V, Nair PP. High frequency of depressive symptoms among adults with epilepsy: Results from a hospital based study. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2017;8:13-19.
9. Shaik S, Rajkumar RP, Menon V, Sarkar S. Gender, life events and depression: an exploratory study. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:330-5. (Cite Score – 0.77)
10. Menon V, Vivek AK, Sarkar S. Pathways to care for medically unexplained symptoms at a specialty psychosomatic clinic in South India in 2014. Iranian J Psy Behav Sci 2017;11:e5011
11. Mahadevan J, Sundaresh A, Rajkumar RP, Avin M, Menon V, Negi VS, Sridhar MG. An exploratory study of immune markers in acute and transient psychosis. Asian J Psychiatr 2017;25:219-223. (Cite score – 1.06)
12. Menon V, Shanmughanathan B, Arun AB, Thamizh JS, Selvakumar N, Sarkar S. A qualitative analysis of explanatory models in medically unexplained physical symptoms presenting to a tertiary health care psychiatric facility in South India. Int J Soc Psychiatry 2016; 62(7): 608-615. (Impact Factor – 1.613)
13. Kattimani S, Menon V, Sarkar S, Arun AB, Venkatalakshmi P. Role of demographic and personality factors in mediating vulnerability to suicide attempts under intoxication with alcohol: A record based exploratory study. Indian J Psychol Med 2016;38:540-6. (Cite Score – 0.77)
14. Muthuramalingam A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Thamizh JS. Effect of fluoxetine on inflammatory cytokines in drug naïve major depression: A short term prospective study from South India. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2016; 36: 726-8. (Impact Factor – 3.134)
15. Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Menon V, Muthuramalingam A, Nancy P. Duration of suicide process among suicide attempters and characteristics of those providing a window of opportunity for intervention. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2016; 7: 566-70.
16. Muthuramalingam A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Negi VS. Is depression an inflammatory disease? Findings from a cross-sectional study at a tertiary care center. Indian J Psychol Med 2016; 38: 114-9. (Cite Score – 0.77)
17. Menon V, Sarkar S, Thomas S. Establishing a psychosomatic clinic in a low resource setting: Process, challenges and opportunities. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2016; 7: 171-5.
18. Menon V, Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Mathan K. How do repeat suicide attempters differ from first timers? An exploratory record based analysis. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2016; 7: 91-6.
19. Muraleedharan A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Chand P. Assessment of DNA damage and repair efficiency in drug naïve schizophrenia using comet assay. J Psychiatr Res 2015; 68: 47-53. (Impact Factor – 4.437)
20. Mathew J, Nagarajan P, Menon V. Effect of psycho education on knowledge, attitude and burden of caregivers of clients with bipolar affective disorder. Int J Curr Res 2015; 7(12): 24285-24287
21. Menon V, Sarkar S, Kattimani S, Mathan K. Do personality traits such as impulsivity and hostility-aggressiveness predict severity of intent in attempted suicide? Findings from a record based study in South India. Indian J Psychol Med 2015; 37(4): 393-8. (Cite Score – 0.77)
22. Sarkar S, Menon V. Development and validation of a scale to assess barriers to health care seeking among medical students. Med Sci Educ 2015; 25(4): 377-382. (Impact Factor – 1.800)
23. Menon V, Sarkar S, Kumar S. Barriers to health care seeking among medical students: A cross-sectional study from South India. Postgrad Med J 2015; 91: 477-482. (Impact Factor – 2.078)
24. Moideen M, Menon V, Chandrasekaran R. Is ‘pure Dhat syndrome a stable diagnostic entity? A naturalistic long term follow up study from a tertiary care centre. J Clin Diag Res 2015; 9(8): VC01-VC03.
25. Menon V, Sarkar S, Kattimani S. Association between personality factors and suicide intent in attempted suicide: Gender as a possible mediator? Pers Mental Health 2015; 9: 220-6. (Impact Factor – 1.393)
26. Menon V, Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Muthuramalingam A. Gender differences among suicide attempters attending a Crisis Intervention Clinic in South India. Ind Psychiatry J 2015; 24: 64-9.
27. Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Rajkumar RP, Menon V. Stressful life events, hopelessness, and coping strategies among impulsive suicide attempters. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2015; 6: 171-76
28. Kartha LB, Chandrasekhar L, Rajappa M, Menon V, Thappa DM, Ananathanarayanan PH. Serum melatonin levels in psoriasis and associated depressive symptoms. Clin Chem Lab Med 2014; 52(6): e123-5. (Impact Factor – 3.019)
29. Menon V, Kattimani S, Shrivastava MK, Thazath HK. Clinical and socio-demographic correlates of suicide intent among adolescents with deliberate self-harm – a hospital based study. Crisis 2013; 34: 282-288. (Impact Factor – 1.583)
30. Menon V, Chandrasekaran R. Depression and Anxiety after Myocardial Infarction: A Follow up Study from South India. Malaysian Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 21(2): 27-37.
Chapters, Books and Reviews
31. Menon V, Subramanian K, Selvakumar N, Kattimani S. Suicide prevention strategies: An overview of current evidence and best practice elements. Int J Adv Med Health Res 2018;5:43-51.
32. Menon V, Kuppili PP. Challenges in management of major depression in patients with co-morbid medical conditions. Indian J Ment Health and Neurosciences 2018;1:18-24.
33. Sarkar S, Gupta R, Menon V. A systematic review of depression, anxiety, and stress among medical students in India. J Mental Health Hum Behav 2017;22:88-96
34. Kuppili PP, Manohar H, Menon V. Current status of Vaccines in Psychiatry – A narrative review. Asian J Psychiatr 2018;31:112-120. (Cite score – 1.06)
35. Menon V, Rajan TM, Kuppili PP, Sarkar S. Cognitive-behavior therapy for medically unexplained symptoms: A systematic review and meta-analysis of published controlled trials. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:399-406. (Cite Score – 0.77)
36. Rajan TM, Menon V. Psychiatric disorders and obesity: A review of association studies. J Postgrad Med 2017;63:182-190. (Impact factor – 0.912)
37. Menon V, Subramanian K, Thamizh JS. Psychiatric presentations heralding Hashimoto’s Encephalopathy: A systematic review and analysis of cases reported in literature. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2017;8:261-67.
38. Menon V, Rajan TM, Sarkar S. Psychotherapeutic applications of mobile phone-based technologies: A systematic review of current research and trends. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:4-11. (Cite Score – 0.77)
39. Moideen M, Menon V, Rajkumar RP. Treatment-resistant Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) with concurrent psychotic symptoms: A therapeutic conundrum. In Complicated cases in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Issue IV: OCD cases with poor insight and obsessive compulsive personality disorder. Eds. Reddy MS. Elsevier India Pvt Limited, 2015.
40. Menon V. Suicide risk assessment and formulation: An update. Asian J Psychiatr 2013; 6: 430-435. (Cite score – 1.06)
Case reports, letters, technical comments
41. Menon V. Multiple testing and protection against type I error using p-value correction: Application in cross-sectional study designs. Indian J Psychol Med 2019;41:197. (Cite Score – 0.77)
42. Ghosh A, Sahoo S, Menon V, Tharayil HM, Thakurdesai A, Andrade C. Antenatal depression, epigenetic gestational age, childhood psychiatric symptoms and the need to consider the possible effects of unaccounted confounders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2018;57:796-797. (Impact Factor – 6.25)
43. Thakurdesai A, Ghosh A, Menon V, Harshe D, Sahoo S, Tripathi A, Andrade C. Electronic journal clubs for capacity building: a case study in psychiatry as a model for medical disciplines in developing countries. Asian J Psy 2018;34:93-97. (Cite score – 1.06)
44. Menon V, Thamizh JS, Rajkumar RP, Selvakumar N. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (or malignant extrapyramidal autonomic syndrome): Time to revisit diagnostic criteria and terminology. Aust N Z J Psy 2017;51(1):102. (Impact Factor – 5.080)
45. Menon V. Depression, Suicidal ideation and Resilience among rural drought affected farmers: Methodological issues. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2019;10:176-7.
46. Ameen S, Praharaj SK, Menon V. A year on: The changes we introduced and the common mistakes encountered. Indian J Psychol Med 2019;41:1-5. (Cite Score – 0.77)
47. Menon V, Ameen S. Immuno-Inflammatory Therapies in Psychiatry: Current Evidence Base. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:721-6. (Cite Score – 0.77)
Scholarship in Press
48. Vellekkatt F, Menon V. Efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in major depression: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Postgrad Med 2018 (In Press) (Impact Factor – 0.912)
49. Menon V. Beyond research reporting guidelines: How can the quality of published research be enhanced? Indian J Psychol Med 2019 (In Press) (Cite Score – 0.77)
Training Manuals prepared
50. Menon V, Sahadevan S, Bhargava S, Prabhu P, Jayaram R, Sundararajan R. “Module on Training Psychiatry Faculty in Teaching Depression and its management for Medical Students” – a training manual for teachers of Psychiatry prepared upon an invitation by the Indian Psychiatry Society (IPS) taskforce on “Combat Depression” in 2018.
2018-ongoing: Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine (Chief Associate Editor)
2016: Journal of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Disorders (Editorial Board Member)
2014: SAGE Open Journals (Guest Editor)
Invited Speaking Engagements, Presentations, Symposia & Workshops Not Affiliated With JIPMER
2019 Keynote speaker – Special CME of Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), Puducherry on 02.04.2019 and delivered a talk on “Distressed or Depressed? Tips to navigate the complex maze of depression in the medically ill”
2018 Plenary speaker – Indian Psychiatric Society Tamil Nadu Branch Midterm CME at Trichy, Tamil Nadu on 23.12.2018 and delivered a talk on “CANMAT/ISBD 2018 guidelines for mood disorder: How far applicable to our setting?”
2018 Resource person - Workshop for Medical Teachers on “Teaching Depression for Undergraduates” at JSS Medical College, Mysuru in association with Indian Psychiatric Society taskforce on Combat Depression on 23.10.2018
2018 Keynote speaker – Monthly meet of the Madurai Academy of Psychiatry Society (MAPS) and delivered a talk on “
2018 Plenary speaker - 33rd Annual State Conference of Tamil Nadu Chapter of Indian Psychiatric Society (TANPSYCON 2018) held at Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu on 14.07.2018 and delivered a talk on “Immuno-inflammatory mechanisms in Depression: From bench to bedside”
2018 Resource Faculty – Indian Psychiatric Society South Zone PG CME organized by Indian Psychiatric Society (South Zone and TN Chapters) and Chennai Psychiatric Society on 30.06.2018-01.07.2018 and delivered a lecture on “Risk Assessment in Emergency Department”
2018 Plenary speaker – CME on Delirium: An Update organized by Dept. of Medicine and Dept. of Psychiatry, Indira Gandhi Govt Medical College and Research Institute, Puducherry on 28.04.2018 and delivered a talk on “Psychiatric aspects of delirium”
2018 Plenary speaker – CME on World Bipolar Day 2018 organized by Dept. of Psychiatry, NIMHANS, Bengaluru on 18.03.2018 and delivered a talk on “Mixed mood states”
2018 Plenary speaker – Tamil Nadu State PG CME Program organized by Dept. of Psychiatry, Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, Chennai on 11.02.2018 - delivered a talk on “Management of Substance use Disorders”.
2017 Resource person for Faculty Development Program on Medical Education Technologies for faculty of AIIMS, Bhubaneswar conducted by Dept. of Medical Education, JIPMER from November 17th-19th, 2017
2017 Plenary speaker - CME on Adolescent Psychiatry – talk titled “Suicide and self-harm among adolescents: How to recognize and deal with it? organized by Dept. of Psychiatry, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital (SMVMCH), Puducherry on 11.11.2017
2017 Keynote speaker for HUNT 2017, a CME Program organized by Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital (SMVMCH), Puducherry on 31.03.2017: Topic - “Stress management for first MBBS students”.
2016 Plenary talk titled “Promotion of mental health and protecting rights of mentally ill” - World Mental Health Day Celebrations at Mother Teresa Postgraduate & Research Institute of Health Sciences on 07.10.2016.
2016 Keynote speaker for World Schizophrenia Day celebrations at Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital (SMVMCH): Topic - “Schizophrenia: Understanding and Applying Mental Health First Aid”
2012 Plenary speaker in Workshop on recognition and management of Depression organised at St. Thomas Hospital, Changanacherry, Kerala: Topic - “Pharmacotherapy of depression”
Invited Speaking Engagements, Presentations, Symposia & Workshops Affiliated With JIPMER
2017 Resource person for training program on Medical Education Technologies for faculty of JIPMER, Karaikal Campus conducted by Dept. of Medical Education, JIPMER from December 11th-13th, 2017
2017 Plenary speaker: CME on Epilepsy Management organized by Dept. of Neurology, JIPMER on 11/02/2017: “Management of Psychiatric Issues in Epilepsy”
2016 Plenary speaker: Conference and Certificate course on Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery held from Oct 20th–21st, 2016 by the Dept of Surgical Gastroenterology, JIPMER: “Psychosocial aspects and pre-surgical evaluation of Obese patients: Demystifying a weighty issue”
2016 Resource person for “Workshop on giving effective feedback” for faculty of JIPMER Dept. of Medical Education, JIPMER
2014 Plenary Speaker: First National Conference of Association of Physiologists of India (ASSOPICON 2014):”Management of Sleep Disorders: Physiological perspective”
2013 Keynote speaker: World Mental Health Day 2013 celebrations at College of Nursing, JIPMER: “Mental Health and Older Adults: The Indian Scenario”
Peer reviewed presentations at Symposia/Workshops conducted at conferences not organized by JIPMER
2018 Panel Speaker: Symposium on Developing a group of Teachers of Psychiatry – Focus on UG training” at the 70th Annual National Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society at Ranchi on Feb 6th, 2018.
2018 Panel Speaker: Symposium on “Immuno-inflammatory pathways in depression: From biological mechanisms to clinical practice” at the 70th Annual National Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society at Ranchi on Feb 8th, 2018.
2017 Panel Speaker: Symposium on “Medically unexplained symptoms: Challenges and the way forward” at the 69th Annual National Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society at Raipur on Jan 7th, 2017.
2016 Panel Speaker: Symposium on “Enhancing medication adherence using information technology” at the 68th Annual National Conference of the Indian Psychiatric Society – Jan 22nd, 2016.
Public Service Assignments
2018 Resource person for invited talk on All India Radio regarding various aspects of prevention, recognition and management of suicidal behavior on the occasion of World Suicide Prevention Month
2018 Member of JIPMER Flood and Disaster Relief Task Force set up to provide medical assistance and relief to people affected in Kerala Floods 2018. Was the Team leader and chief co-ordinator for the 24x7 JIPMER Crisis Helpline to provide psychological support for people affected by Kerala Floods functioning from the premises of the Dept. of Psychiatry. Was involved in conceptualizing the initiative, drawing up the Standard Operating Protocol, getting the required approvals and resources, recruiting and training of volunteers to run the program as well as record keeping.
2017 Resource person for the World Health Day Celebrations (Theme: Depression – Let’s talk) and interactive session with public conducted at NKC Govt Higher Secondary School, Kurusukuppam by Dept. of Preventive and Social Medicine in collaboration with Health Education for All Forum, Medico-Social wing and Dept. of Psychiatry, JIPMER on April 7th, 2017.
2016 Resource person for JIPMER Health Education Initiative – “Obesity: Ill Effects and Treatment” aimed at promoting public health awareness – October 2016
2016 Resource person for talk on All India Radio regarding “How to recognize and intervene early in suicidal behavior?” on the occasion of World Suicide Prevention Day
2016 Resource person for JIPMER Health Education Initiative – “Depression and prevention of suicide” aimed at promoting public health awareness – June 2016
2011 Talk on All India Radio regarding early identification and management of depression
2010 Talk on managing exam stress among students of Idhaya College of Arts and Sciences through aegis of National Service Scheme
Special Clinics initiated and running:
Psychosomatic Clinic (All Thursday forenoons)
Metabolic Surgery Clinic (All Thursday forenoons)
Pre-transplant evaluation clinic (All Wednesday forenoons)
Crisis Intervention Clinic (All Wednesday forenoons)
OPD no 65, Dept. of Psychiatry JIPMER, Puducherry.
For appointments, contact the following:
Mr.Karpagakumar, Secretary, Dept. of Psychiatry
2008-2011 Senior Resident, Dept. of Psychiatry, JIPMER, Puducherry
2011-2012 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Psychiatry, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital, Puducherry
2012-2015 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Psychiatry, JIPMER, Puducherry
2015-2018 Associate Professor, Dept. of Psychiatry, JIPMER, Puducherry
2018-present Additional Professor, Dept. of Psychiatry, JIPMER, Puducherry, Consultant-in-charge Psychosomatic Clinic, Transplant and Metabolic Clinics, Dept. of Psychiatry, JIPMER, Puducherry
Memberships in Scientific/Professional Societies
2018 Member International Association of Suicide Prevention Group – Early Career Forum Special Interest Group on Suicide and Self-harm in Middle Aged Adults
2018 Member Indian Psychiatric Society Task Force on “Combat Depression”
2017 Member of the Indian Association of Social Psychiatry
2016 Member of the South Zone of the Indian Psychiatric Society (IPS-SZ)
2015 Member of the Tamil Nadu Chapter of the Indian Psychiatric Society (IPS-TN)
2015 Life fellow of the Indian Psychiatric Society (IPS)
2014 Life Member of the International Academy of Medical Sciences (IMSA)
2013 Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS), India
2010 Life member of the International Neuropsychiatry Association (INA) – India chapter
Psychosomatic Clinic (All Thursday forenoons) Metabolic Surgery Clinic (All Thursday forenoons) Pre-transplant evaluation clinic (All Wednesday forenoons) Crisis Intervention Clinic (All Wednesday forenoons)
Dept. of Psychiatry JIPMER, Puducherry