- M.B.B.S. (JIPMER, Puducherry);
- M.D. (Psychiatry) (JIPMER, Puducherry)
- DNB (Psychiatry) (National Board of Examinations)
Key publications grouped by area of interest:
- Vellekkatt F, Menon V, Rajappa M, Sahoo S. Effect of adjunctive single dose parenteral Vitamin D supplementation in major depressive disorder with concurrent vitamin D deficiency: A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Psychiatr Res 2020;129:250-256. (Impact factor – 4.791)
- Grover S, Avasthi A, Chakravarty R, Dan A, Chakraborty K, Neogi R, Desousa A, Nayak O, Praharaj SK, Menon V, Pattanayak RD, Bathla M, Subramanyam A, Nebhinani N, Gania A, Lakdawala B, Bhattacharya R, Ghosh P. Bipolar Disorder Course and Outcome Study from India (BiD-CoIN study): Sample Description and Methods. J Affect Disord 2020;280(Pt B):16-23 (Impact Factor – 4.839)
- Grover S, Avasthi A, Chakravarty R, Dan A, Chakraborty K, Neogi R, Desousa A, Nayak O, Praharaj SK, Menon V, Deep R, Bathla M, Subramanyam AA, Nebhinani N, Ghosh P, Lakdawala B, Bhattacharya R. Predominant Polarity in Bipolar disorder: Findings from the Bipolar Disorder Course and Outcome Study from India (BiD-CoIN study). Compr Psychiatry 2021;109:152249 (Impact factor – 3.735)
- Jesudas BR, Nandeesha H, Menon V, Allimuthu P. Relationship of elevated neural cell adhesion molecule 1 with interleukin-10 and disease severity in bipolar disorder. Asian J Psychiatr 2019;47:101849. (Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Muruganandham P, Neelamegam S,Menon V, Alexander J, Chaturvedi SK. COVID-19 and Severe Mental Illness: Impact on patients and its relation with their awareness about COVID-19. Psychiatry Res 2020;291:113265. (Impact Factor – 3.222)
- Kuppili PP, Menon V, Chandrasekaran V, Navin K. Biological rhythm impairment in Bipolar Disorder: A state or trait marker? Indian J Psychiatry 2018;60:404-9. (Impact Factor – 1.759)
- Selvakumar N, Menon V, Kattimani S. A cross-sectional analysis of patterns and predictors of medication adherence in Bipolar Disorder: Single center experience from South India. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci2018;16:168-75. (Impact Factor – 2.567)
- Muthuramalingam A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Negi VS. Effect of fluoxetine on inflammatory cytokines in drug naïve major depression: A short term prospective study from South India. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2016; 36: 726-8. (Impact Factor – 3.153)
- Muthuramalingam A, Menon V, Rajkumar RP, Negi VS. Is depression an inflammatory disease? Findings from a cross-sectional study at a tertiary care center. Indian J Psychol Med 2016; 38: 114-9.
- Menon V, Kar SK, Suthar N, Nebhinani N. Vitamin D and depression: A critical reappraisal of the evidence and future recommendations. Indian J Psychol Med 2020;42(1): 11-21.
- Menon V, BafnaAR, RogersML, RichardsJ, Galynker Factor structure and validity of the Revised Suicide Crisis Inventory (SCI-2) among Indian adults. Asian J Psychiatr 2022;73:103119. (Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Menon V, Kar SK, Ransing R, Sharma G, Pattnaik JI, Kaliamoorthy C, Varadharajan N, Mukherjee S, Agrawal A, Padhy SK, Arafat SMY. Changing trends in quality of media reporting of suicide in the community following a celebrity suicide in India. Aust NZJ Psychiatry 2022;56(1):81-90.(Impact Factor – 5.744)
- Arafat SMY, Menon V, Bascarane S, Kar SK, Kabir R. Variations in newspaper reporting of suicidal behavior in WHO-South-East Asian region. J Public Health 2021;43(4):e684-688. (Impact factor – 2.34)
- Arafat SMY, Hossain F, Hossain MF, Islam MA, Menon V. Literacy and Stigma of Suicide in Bangladesh: Scales Validation and Status Assessment among University Students. Brain Behav 2021;e2432 (Impact factor – 2.708)
- Menon V, Kar SK, Marthoenis M, Arafat SMY, Sharma G, Kaliamoorthy C, Ransing R, Mukherjee S, Pattnaik JI, Shirahatti NB, Varadharajan N, Padhy SK. Is there any link between celebrity suicide and further suicidal behavior in India?Int J Soc Psychiatry 2021;67(5):453-460. (Impact factor – 2.625)
- Kar SK, Menon V, Arafat SMY, Rai S, Kaliamoorthy C, Akter H, Shukla S, Sharma N, Roy D, Sridhar VK. Impact of COVID-19 pandemic related lockdown on Suicide: Analysis of newspaper reports during pre-lockdown and lockdown period in Bangladesh and India. Asian J Psychiatr 2021;60:102649. (Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Menon V, Arafat SMY, Akter H, Mukherjee S, Kar SK, Padhy SK. Cross-country comparison of media reporting of celebrity suicide in the immediate week: A pilot study. Asian J Psy 2020;54:102302(Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Menon V, Kaliamoorthy C, Sridhar VK, Varadharajan N, Joseph R, Kattimani S, Kar SK, Arafat SMY. Do Tamil newspapers educate the public about suicide? Content analysis from a high suicide union territory in India. Int J Soc Psychiatry 2020;66(8):785-791. (Impact factor – 2.625)
- Singh A, Kumar SG, Menon V,Olickal JJ, Ulaganeethi R, Sunny R, Subramanian S, Kothari A, Chinnakali P. Prevalence of suicidal ideation, plan, attempts and its associated factors in selected rural and urban areas of Puducherry, India. J Public Health 2021 (In Press) (Impact factor – 2.34)
- Subramanian K, Menon V, Sarkar S, Chandrasekaran V, Selvakumar N. Study of risk factors associated with suicide attempt in patients with bipolar disorder - type I. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2020;11:291-98
- Menon V, Kattimani S, Sarkar S, Sathyanarayanan G, Subramanian K, Velusamy SK. Age at onset of first suicide attempt: Exploring the utility of a potential candidate variable to subgroup attempters. Asian J Psy2018;37:40-45. (Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Menon V, Kattimani S, Shrivastava MK, Thazath HK. Clinical and socio-demographic correlates of suicide intent among adolescents with deliberate self-harm – a hospital based study. Crisis 2013; 34: 282-288. (Impact Factor – 2.356)
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Bascarane S, Subramanian K, Mukherjee MP, Kattimani S. Psychological autopsy: Overview of Indian evidence, best practice elements and a semi-structured interview guide. Indian J Psychiatry 2020;62(6):631-643.(Impact factor – 1.759)
- Menon V. Suicide risk assessment and formulation: An update. Asian J Psychiatr 2013; 6: 430-435. (Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Menon V, Selvakumar N, Kattimani S, Andrade C. Therapeutic effects of mobile-based text message reminders for medication adherence in bipolar I disorder: Are they maintained after intervention cessation? J Psychiatr Res2018;104:163-168. (Impact factor – 4.791)
- Jilisha G, Jayaseelan V, Menon V, Olickal JJ. Nomophobia: A mixed-methods study on prevalence, associated factors and Perception among college students in Puducherry, India. Indian J Psychol Med 2019;41(6):541-8.
- Sreejith S, Menon V. Mobile phones as a medium of mental health care service delivery: Perspectives and barriers among patients with severe mental illness. Indian J Psychol Med 2019; 41: 428-33
- Kar SK, Kabir R, Menon V, Arafat SMY, Prakash AJ, Saxena SK. Artificial intelligence in mental healthcare during COVID-19 pandemic. In: Nandan Mohanty S., Saxena S.K., Satpathy S., Chatterjee J.M. (eds) Applications of Artificial Intelligence in COVID-19. Medical Virology: From Pathogenesis to Disease Control. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-7317-0_17. (ISBN 978-981-15-7316-3)
- Menon V, Rajan TM, Sarkar S. Psychotherapeutic applications of mobile phone-based technologies: A systematic review of current research and trends. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:4-11.
- Ransing R, Menon V, Kar SK, Arafat SMY. Artificial Intelligence-based models for augmenting media reporting of suicide: Challenges and Opportunities. Global Psychiatry 2021;4(2):123-129.
- Balasubramanian I, Faheem A, Padhy SK, Menon V. Psychiatric adverse reactions to COVID-19 vaccines: A rapid review of published case reports. Asian J Psychiatr 2022;71;103129. (Impact Factor – 3.543).
- Menon V, Shanmuganathan B, Thamizh JS, Arun AB. Kuppili PP, Sarkar S. Personality traits such as neuroticism and disability predict psychological distress in medically unexplained symptoms: A three year experience from a single center. Pers Ment Health2017;12:145-54 (Impact Factor – 3.816)
- Menon V, Shanmughanathan B, Arun AB, Thamizh JS, Selvakumar N, Sarkar S. A qualitative analysis of explanatory models in medically unexplained physical symptoms presenting to a tertiary health care psychiatric facility in South India. Int J Soc Psychiatry 2016; 62(7): 608-615. (Impact Factor – 2.625)
- Menon V, Ransing R, Praharaj SK. Management of psychiatric disorders in patients with hepatic and gastrointestinal diseases. Indian J Psychiatry 2022 (In press) (Impact factor – 1.759)
- Menon V, Pillai AG, Satheesh S, Kaliamurthy C, Sarkar S. Factor structure and validity of type D personality scale among Indian (Tamil speaking) patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. Indian J Psychiatry 2019;61:572-7. (Impact Factor – 1.759)
- Menon V, Shanmughanathan B, Thamizh JS, Arun AB, Sarkar S. Efficacy of adjunctive single session counselling for medically unexplained symptoms: A randomized controlled trial. Indian J Psychol Med 2017;39:641-7.
- Pillai AG, Menon V, Satheesh S. Prevalence and correlates of Type D personality among survivors following Acute Myocardial Infarction in a tertiary care center in South India. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2019;10(3):405-412.
- Chinneimawi E, Nagarajan P,Menon V. Caregiver burden and disability in somatoform disorder: An exploratory study. Indian J Psychol Med 2021;43(6);500-507.
- Senthilkumar A, Subitha L, Saravanan E, Giriyappa DK, Satheesh S, Menon V. Depressive symptoms and health related quality of life in patients with Cardiovascular diseases attending a Tertiary Care Hospital, Puducherry – A Cross-sectional study. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2021;12(2):376-81.
- Menon V, Sarkar S, Thomas S. Establishing a psychosomatic clinic in a low resource setting: Process, challenges and opportunities. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2016; 7: 171-5.
- Kuppili PP, Menon V, Sathyanarayanan G, Sarkar S, Andrade C. Efficacy of adjunctive D-Cycloserine for the treatment of schizophrenia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Neural Transm 2021;128:253-262.(Impact Factor – 3.575)
- Kar SK, Menon V, Arafat SMY, Singh A, Das A, Shankar A, Sharma P, Perera S. Dhat syndrome: Systematic review of epidemiology, nosology, clinical features, and management strategies. Asian J Psychiatr 2021 (In Press) (Impact factor – 3.543)
- Krishnamoorthy Y, Nagarajan R, Saya GK, Menon V. Prevalence of Psychological Morbidities Among General Population, Healthcare Workers and COVID-19 patients Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Psychiatry Res 2020;293:113382. (Impact Factor – 3.222)
- Vellekkatt F, Menon V. Efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in major depression: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Postgrad Med2019;65(2):74-80. (Impact Factor – 1.318)
- Sarkar S, Gupta R, Menon V. A systematic review of depression, anxiety, and stress among medical students in India. J Mental Health Hum Behav2017;22:88-96
- Menon V, Rajan TM, Kuppili PP, Sarkar S. Cognitive-behavior therapy for medically unexplained symptoms: A systematic review and meta-analysis of published controlled trials. Indian J Psychol Med2017;39:399-406.
Publications and publishing
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Praharaj SK, Ameen S. Quality of peer review reports submitted to a specialty psychiatry journal. Asian J Psychiatr 2021;58:102599 (Impact Factor – 3.543)
- Menon V, Varadharajan N, Praharaj SK, Ameen S. Why do manuscripts get rejected? A content analysis of rejection reports from Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. Indian J Psychol Med 2022 (In Press)
- Menon V, Jayaprakashan KP, Varadharajan N, Ameen S, Praharaj SK. Fate of manuscripts rejected by a specialty psychiatry journal: A retrospective cohort study. Indian J Psychol Med 2022 (In Press)
- Singh PK, Kumar V, Ameen S, Sarkhel S, Praharaj SK, Menon V. Clinical Practice Guidelines on Publication Ethics. Indian J Psychiatry 2022 (In press) (Impact factor – 1.759)
- Arafat SMY, Kar SK, Menon V, Kabir R, Vinnakota D, Saroj A. Studies on sexual behavior during COVID-19 pandemic: A bibliometric analysis. J Psychosexual Health 2022 (In Press)
- Kar SK, Arafat SMY, Menon V. A Bibliometric Analysis of Dhat Syndrome. Psychiatry Int 2021;2:379-385.
- Sahadevan S, Kurian N, Mani AM, Kishor M, Menon V. Implementing competency based medical education curriculum in undergraduate psychiatric training in India: Opportunities and challenges. Asia Pac Psychiatry 2021;13(4):e12491. (Impact factor – 2.538)
- Menon V, Sarkar S, Kumar S. Barriers to health care seeking among medical students: A cross-sectional study from South India. Postgrad Med J 2015; 91: 477-482. (Impact Factor – 2.401)
- Sarkar S, Menon V. Development and validation of a scale to assess barriers to health care seeking among medical students. Med Sci Educ 2015; 25(4): 377-382. (Impact Factor – 1.800)
- Kishor M, Shah H, Chandran S, Mysore AV, Kumar A, Menon V,Vinay HR, Isaac M, Singh OP. Psychiatry postgraduate examinations for the year 2020 in the middle of COVID19 crisis: Suggestions from Indian teachers of psychiatry. Indian J Psychiatry 2020; 62:431-4. (Impact factor – 1.759)
- Kishor M, Menon V, Vinay HR, Bhise MC, Isaac M, Chandran S, Kumar A, Nebhinani N, Gupta R, Dere SS, Kakunje A, Bharathi G, Ashok MV, Nischal A. COVID19 pandemic highlights the need to reconsider psychiatry training of Indian medical graduate. Indian J Health Allied Sci 2020;9(5):104-106.
- Kishor M, Gupta R, Ashok MV, Isaac M, Chaddha RK, Singh OP, Shah H, Nischal A, Dave M, Vinay Kumar HR, Das A, Rohilla JK, Singh PK, Kumar P, Kumar, Swami M, Solanki RK, Sahadevan S, Pal A, Ray R, Garg S, Tikka SK, Dyanin M, Avinadh P, Dhiman V, Basu A, Rawat VS, Krishnan V, Menon V, Chandran S, Nebhinani N. Competency‑based medical curriculum: Psychiatry, training of faculty, and Indian Psychiatric Society. Indian J Psychiatry 2020; 62(2):207-208.(Impact Factor – 1.759)
For a complete list of publications, see here: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=Lfw7FH0AAAAJ&hl=en
Taskforce/committee positions outside the institution
- Co-coordinator for the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) initiative for the Development of effective national suicide prevention strategy and practice and establishment of regional suicide prevention networks in South-East Asia (2021-ongoing)
- Convenor – Course and Certification Sub-Committee of Indian Psychiatric Society (2021-ongoing)
- Co-chairman, Publication Committee, Indian Psychiatric Society South Zone Branch (2021-ongoing)
- Life Fellow of Indian Psychiatric Society
- Member – Indian Association of Biological Psychiatry
- Member, International Association of Suicide Prevention – Early Career Group (IASP-ECG)
- Member of the Indian Association of Social Psychiatry
Taskforce/committee positions within the institution
- Departmental nodal officer responsible for maintaining and updating departmental content on institute website
- Department nominee for Postgraduate Curriculum Revision Committee constituted for designing and developing a revised MD/MS curriculum for implementation from the academic year 2022-2023
- Member, Committee for identification of posts suitable for persons with benchmark disability in promotion among Group ‘C’ in pursuance of provisions under RPwD Act, 2016
- Member of Sponsored Clinical Trial Research Committee
- Faculty Member – Medical Education Unit, JIPMER which is also a Medical Council of India recognized Regional Center for Faculty Development Programs and conducts the biannual National Teacher Training Center (NTTC) course for teachers of health professionals from all over the country
- Psychosomatic Clinic
- Crisis Intervention Clinic
- Pre-Transplant evaluation Clinic
- Metabolic Surgery Clinic
- Behavior Addiction Clinic