Surgical gastroenterology department office
Surgical Gastroenterology office is located at the fourth floor of SS Block IPD. SGE Office complex comprises of ten rooms viz., office rooms of the HOD and Consultants, a residents’ room, a seminar room with library, departmental office room, a data room and a store room.
The SGE office serves as the link between the departmental and institute administration. All the institute related and external communications are channeled through the office. It also plays the role of back end office for the main wings of the department viz., Outpatient Clinics, In-patient facility, Intensive Care Unit, Operation Theatre and Endoscopy besides auxiliary wings like Stoma Clinic, Diet Clinic, Skills Lab & SGE office itself. The office administration activities include human resource management (HRM) of 55 personnel (including doctors, nursing staff & para medical staff), Continuing Medical Education (CME) for doctors & nurses, conducting symposiums & training Programmes, M.Ch./PDF courses & exams etc. On annual basis national conferences, regional level seminars and departmental level training programs are conducted. Office is manned by a multi-tasking staff and three daily rated labours.
The departmental store, managed by a storekeeper who provides logistics support to the main & auxiliary wings of the department regarding equipment, consumables, non-consumables, information technology infrastructures, office contingencies, etc. besides acting instrumental during conferences/seminars as finance & accounts assistant. Store activities include forecasting of requirements, projection, budgeting, procurement, and technical/price bids evaluation, receipts of stores/ equipment, storing, distributions to the respective wings, maintenance contracts for equipment etc. The department hosts equipment assets to the tune of Rs.10 crores and has been procuring consumables / non-consumable products to the tune of one to two crores every year. A separate procurement scheme is in place for those patients covered under insurance scheme. Surgical gastroenterology store has a model smart bin location system and also taken a lead of compiling a partial study report on JIPMER Inventory Management System called “JIMS” which is likely to be integrated into upcoming hospital information system.
Head of the department (HOD)
The department is headed by a senior faculty in the cadre of professor or additional professor.
Dr.Kalayarasan R is currently the head of the department. The head of the department acts as the chief executive officer of the department. As the staff in the department are working in diverse domains, each faculty is allotted various areas for the betterment of services, teaching and research. Head of the department is responsible for all the academic and administrative activities. Clinical services are designated to individual consultants to ensure better patient care through individualized approach.
Head of the department is the chairman of all the academic programs and courses running in the department. He is the convener of the M.Ch. exit examination. All the research proposals requires clearance from the head of the department. As the chairman of the department purchase committee, HOD has to generate all the purchase requirement for the department and conduct the committee meetings. HOD is the member of institute council and infection control committees. HOD chairs faculty meetings, in-charge nurses meetings and all other meetings in the department. Head of the department initiates changes in the system based on the acquired inputs from discussions and feedbacks. Annual performance of each employee will be assessed by HOD and will be forwarded to the director.
Responsibilities & Role of HOD
- To be responsible for the overall functioning of the department.
- To develop mission and vision for department after consulting with all staffs.
- To be an example by setting good standards in teaching, research and patient care.
- To take active steps in fostering cordial interpersonal relationships in the department and ensuring that there is a smooth working relationship among all the members of the department.
- To co-ordinate teaching and research programmes of the department.
- To plan, conduct and monitor quality management systems of the department.
- To be known for humility, transparency and integrity.
- Conducting weekly departmental academic meetings and regular mortality and audit meetings.
- Conducting monthly gastro pathology and gastro radiology meetings.
- Conducting monthly staff in-charge meetings.
- Conducting faculty meetings once in 3 months.
- Conducting M.Ch./PDF residents review meetings once in 6 months.
- Conducting annual departmental meeting.
- Interacting with the administrators and external agencies on behalf of the department.
- Conducting model theory and practical exam for all M.Ch./PDF residents annually.
- Evolving in strategic planning and programming for the department.
- Attending inter departmental and other meetings with administration.
- Operating departmental funds.
- Interacting with all groups of staff to ensure smooth functioning of department.
- Acquiring, maintaining and ensuring optimal utilization of equipment.
- Planning and approving capital budget requests.
- Organizing functions in department.
There are 32 nurses working in the department. Ms. Sheela Devi, assistant nursing superintendent (ANS) heads the nursing services. Mrs. Jayaseeli Antoine Prasad is acting as nursing in charge in the Ward and eight nurses are involving in the patient care services there. Mrs. Padmapriya S. is heading the Intensive Care Unit and eight nurses are working under her. The Operation Theatre services is supervised by Mrs. Uma Prakash Babu and six trained operation room nurses are involved in operation room management. Mrs. P.S. Anitha is heading the outpatient services including Ostomy care, Diet clinic and Counselling clinic. The Liver Transplantation ICU is headed by Mrs. Amirthavalli Athimulam, and two nurses and a liver transplant coordinator are working under her supervision.
ANS oversees the systematic functioning and acts as a link with the institute nursing administration. She acts as the representative of nursing services of the department in all the hospital and departmental meetings. All the nursing training and academic programmes are conceptualized and co-chaired by ANS. ANS is the in charge of nursing education and research. Interdepartmental co-operation in nursing services are ensured through ANS. All the institute and hospital policies in patient and personnel care regarding quality control, staff welfare etc. are communicated to all nurses through ANS. ANS convenes nursing in charge meetings on a monthly basis.
Nursing in charges are responsible for overall well-being of the patients and ensures smooth running of all services in their respective areas. They are actively involved in education and training. All store indents from department store, central store, pharmacy, laundry and linen section are handled by in charge nurses. Duty scheduling are effected in respective service areas by in charge nurses. In charge nurses are responsible for implementing all the institute guidelines like infection control, workforce safety, JIPMER quality council guidelines etc.
Last Updated :12-Jan-2023