The Department of Ophthalmology
JIPMER EYE BANK
The eye bank is established with the purpose of promoting eye donation, Procuring and preserving eyeballs, preparation of corneal buttons and distribution to the patients needing corneal transplant to restore vision.
Provides 24x7 round the clock services to attend the eye donation and distribution of the corneal tissue for keratoplasty. A dedicated telephone line is available for this purpose (Tel No 2275666)
Equipments under Eye bank
- Clinical Specular Microscope
- Eye Bank Specular Microscope
- Laminar flow hood for sterile preparation of tissue
Paediatric Ophthalmology, Squint and Oculoplasty services
- Evaluation and non-surgical treatment of comitant squints, cranial nerve palsies, nystagmus, abnormal head posture and amblyopia
- Botulinum toxin injection for paralytic squints, hemifacial and bleparospasms
- Squint surgeries done:
Strengthening and weakening of recti, oblique muscles, transposition for muscle palsy
- Oculoplasty surgeries done:
Dacrocystorhinostomy & Dacrocystectomy
Nasolacrimal duct probing and intubation
Ptosis, ectropion, entropion correction
Excision of lid/lacrimal gland tumors
Enucleation/ Evisceration/ Exenteration and Orbital implants
Teleophthalmology project was started at our department in the year 2009 for catering services to the needy population from remote rural and tribal population and providing screening services to the school children.
State of art Mobile Vision Service which includes
- Non Mydriatic Digital Fundus Camera
- Non-contact tonometer
Screening camps are conducted to cater the population of Pondicherry and surrounding Tamil Nadu districts. Patients are screened for eye disorders which cause preventable and treatable blindness like diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma. Patients are referred to the base hospital for necessary laser procedures and appropriate surgeries.