- Emergency Medical Services are provided round the clock in the Emergency Medical Services Department (EMSD), JIPMER. Patients who are managed conservatively are admitted to the EMSD. Facility for emergency X-ray, CT scan as well as CT angiogram is available in the EMSD. Patients requiring surgical management of emergency neurosurgical nature are operated in the EMSD operation theaters and managed subsequently in the Neurotrauma Intensive Care Unit(ICU). Facilities to manage all neurosurgical emergencies are available, including trauma to brain and spine injuries, acute hydrocephalus, vascular disorders like aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, stroke, brain tumors, etc. Facilities for intracranial pressure monitoring are available in the ICU.
- Elective Neurosurgery Services - The Department of Neurosurgery admits in-patients in Ward 149 (male and female wards) in 2nd floor, Super Specialty Block (SSB) including two special wardrooms. The neurosurgery ICU is ward 149A, located on the 1st floor of the super-specialty block. The ICU adjoins the operating room complex where the neurosurgery Operating Room(OR) is located.
- Referral Services - The department provides intra-mural referral services to all departments in the institute, round the clock. Besides this, patients are frequently referred from surrounding institutes for elective and emergency neurosurgical management. We have the following sub-Specialities.
- Neurotrauma - The department has a major presence in the Emergency Services department. We post junior and senior residents around the clock to provide adequate care for patients with traumatic brain and spine injuries. Besides neuro-trauma and neuro-critical care, other sub-specialty services available are as follows.
- Vascular neurosurgery - Operative treatment of brain aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, cavernous malformations, stroke, cerebral venous/sinus thrombosis, Moya Moya disease, carotid occlusion, etc.
- Neuro-oncology - Surgical management of all benign and malignant brain tumors, including adjuvant therapy.
- Skull base surgery - For craniofacial lesions and lesions involving the skull base, including the craniovertebral junction.
- Pediatric neurosurgery - For spinal dysraphism states, hydrocephalus, pediatric brain tumors, etc.
- Epilepsy surgery - For medically intractable epilepsy cases.
- Functional Neurosurgery - Surgical management of movement disorders like Parkinson’s disease, spasticity, and pain, including trigeminal neuralgia.
- Peripheral nerve surgery - Peripheral nerve tumor, neuroma, entrapment neuropathy, and brachial plexus lesions.
- Spine surgery - Surgical and non-surgical management of diseases of the entire spine, from the craniovertebral junction to the sacral spine. Anterior, posterior, posterolateral, and global fusion surgeries are routinely performed.
- Minimal access neurosurgery - including endoscopic as well as non-endoscopic minimal access techniques are provided.
B. Out-Patient Services
The Neurosurgery outpatient service runs at OPD 210, located on the first floor of the OPD complex in the super-specialty block.
The Outpatient services start from 8:30 am onwards on Mondays and Thursdays.
Monday - 10 am to 12 noon
- Cervical Spondylosis Clinic
- Paediatric Spine Clinic