DEPARTMENT OF BIOSTATISTICS
At JIPMER, the Department of Medical Biometrics and Informatics was established as an independent full-fledged department in the year 2011. The department has been renamed as Department of Biostatistics in the year 2018.
The department is conducting MSc. Course in Biostatistics and Doctoral Programme in Biostatistics. The department also extends teaching of Research Methodology, Biostatistics and Demography to all Undergraduates; Postgraduate Medical & Paramedical students regularly. The Department regularly provide Statistical consultations and research guidance to the postgraduate residents and students, faculty members, PhD scholars and staff in various departments of the institute. The department is also conducting regular training programs in Research Methodology and Biostatistics for the faculty, residents, research scholars and students. The faculty members of the department are also regularly participating as resource persons in the various workshops and CMEs on research methodology, Biostatistics, systematic review and meta-analysis etc. conducted by national level institutes.
The department has launched the Research Leadership Mentoring Program (JRLMP) in the year 2017 for medical faculty to develop high-quality medical research leadership for the institute and at the National level. The department had successfully conducted three JRLMP programs along with a number of add-on programmes on different topics in medical research since the year 2017 and three batches of Medical faculties at the national level got benefitted from this program.
The Department is fiercely performing methodological research in areas of Bayesian Network modelling, Multivariate methods in Meta-analysis, Multivariate approaches to statistical modelling.
- Train institute faculty and students in Research design, Research methods, and statistical methods required for their research projects.
- Provide consultation to faculty and students in Research design, Research methods and statistical methods during various stages of their research projects.
- Collaborate with faculty and students in their projects where specialized statistical and methodological input are required.
- Contribute statistical and methodological inputs to various committees and projects of the institute as and when required.
- Contribute to the National level Medical faculty research capacity building.
- Contribute to Biostatistics human resource capacity building.
- Contribute to the methodological development in Research design, statistical methods and analysis methods.
National and International level recognition
Department has been the secretariat of
- Indian Society for Medical Statistics (ISMS) during 2017 to 2022
- • International Biometric Society Indian region- IBS-IR during 2018 to 2020
National Level Workshop/Conference/Programmes Conducted:
- Pre-conference workshop on Statistical Methods for Clinical Research conducted by Dept. of Biostatistics, JIPMER and IBS Indian region on 15th February 2018.
- East Asia Regional Conference of International Biometric Society conducted by Dept. of Biostatistics JIPMER and IBS Indian region from 16th to 17th February 2018.
- 1st JIPMER Research Leadership Mentoring Programme (JRLMP-1) with intensive training on Research designs, Biostatistics and Proposal Writing was conducted as a year-long program with various sessions was covered throughout the year with several add-on programs from July 2017 to March 2018.
- 2nd JIPMER Research Leadership Mentoring Programme (JRLMP-2) with intensive training on Research designs, Biostatistics and Proposal Writing was conducted from 4th to 8th February 2019 (Phase-I) and 8th to 12th April 2019 (Phase-II).
- 3rd JIPMER Research Leadership Mentoring Programme (JRLMP-3) with intensive training on Research designs, Biostatistics and Proposal Writing was conducted from 25th to 29th November 2019 (Phase-I) and 10th to 14th February 2020 (Phase-II).
- Workshop on Sample Size Estimation in Health Research (SSE–2022) in collaboration with the Division of Research, JIPMER was conducted on 6th and 7th April 2022.
- 4th JIPMER Research Leadership Mentoring Programme (JRLMP-4) with intensive training on Research designs, Biostatistics and Proposal Writing was conducted from 17th to 21st October 2022 (Phase-I).
- • Workshop on “Statistical Methods in Design and Analysis of Observational Studies in Clincal Research (SMEDAOS – 2022)” in collaboration with the Division of Research, JIPMER was conducted on 2nd and 3rd December, 2022.
Institute Level Programmes Conducted:
- First Year PG Orientation program for MD/MS twice a year.
- First Year PG Orientation program for DM/MCh once a year.
- First Year PG Orientation program for M.Sc./MPH once a year.
- Final Year PG Orientation program for MD/MS/DM/MCh twice a year.