The Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care
The Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care was one of the first departments to be started when the institute was established as “Etudes de medicine” in 1956 by the French.
The entire department consisted of two consultants and four operation theatres providing all anaesthesia and emergency services. When the institute was named JIPMER, the department was commissioned on the II floor of the main hospital and provided service to 6 operation theatres with six consultants. With time the services have expanded to include Super specialties, Women and child health block, Emergency services with five operating table and Emergency Trauma OT and Acute and Chronic Pain services, and exclusive state of the art Critical Care Unit (CCU) with round the clock service for resuscitation and ventilator management. The department also takes care of the Central oxygen supply unit (Two liquid oxygen plants).
The department has 23 consultants, 27 senior residents, 4 Post doctorate fellows in Cardiac and Neuro anaesthesia and Critical care each and one DM cardiac anaesthesia candidate and 45 junior residents. Post graduation course in Anaesthesiology was started with 2 MD and 4 DA seats in late 1970’s. Presently the annual intake is 18 postgraduate students (MD).